Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Not By Our Ability, But His

     I'm sure this will come as no surprise to some of you, but it has been on the mildly crazy side here in Roseland. I am not for sure if I will ever get used to this lifestyle; the constant changes or the random events that just seem to happen out of nowhere. However in the middle of all the commotion, we can now say that there are four beautiful, brick walls surrounding what was once just a concrete slab. It is a true testament that God works through the trials of our lives to bring about something quite wonderful.







      Words cannot describe the emotion that comes with this part of the project being completed. What was once just a vision in a prayerful heart, brick by brick has become even more of a reality. Every row joined together not only added height to the wall, but added to the hope that God had originally placed in our hearts. It is surreal standing in the middle of it; thinking of all the children that will pass through those doorways, the lives that God could not reach without this building coming together, or the hearts that will be forever changed by the love that will be shared. It is such a blessing to see the excitement in Ms. Pearl's face, however I was taken aback by the great anticipation that came from the kids. Sherman melted my heart when he said, "Ms. Wendy, are we going to see my new school today?" To watch their jaws drop as they look through the fence and hear them say that they were going to play in it first made my heart smile. I realized in that moment how much I take for granted. I come from a life where new buildings, stores, restaurants, etc. are built all the time. But in this community they do not have as many opportunities to receive something brand new that they can call their own. They have taken such pride in this project, everyone involved or that hears about it is encouraged and hopeful for what it can do for the community. It is inspiring to see what God has brought to such a destitute neighborhood, a safe haven to those who so desperately need a place to turn to. How can we not praise the Lord for how good He is?!?
       We've had a couple of adventures with the kids, one including a trip to the zoo. I know right, why would you take animals to a zoo? I'm only kidding, the children thoroughly enjoy getting out and seeing the things they can only hear about in books; so I'm glad we have the chance to share a different part of the world with them. To keep up with the adventure theme, our trip was planned for one of the colder days we had... Oh yeah, and it rained all day! Nothing would stop us from going. I had forgotten how excited children get over even the smallest things, their energy filled the bus as we headed downtown. Davier kept asking me at every stop light, "Is it time to get up yet? Are we here now? Are we getting closer?" They were more than ready! As adults, we think about the details that can hinder a trip, such as rain, where we will eat, who is in charge of who, where we will meet, what time we have to get back to the bus, etc. However, from our children's perspective, the main focus was, "Where are the tigers? It smells nasty in here. Look at that gorilla, one day I'm going to as big as that gorilla. Ew, it's a spider, I don't like spiders! What's in here, let me find it first! Oh look, I see another seal coming, I see it, I see it!" Or I love how they seize every opportunity to jump in every puddle, climb every fence, touch every plant, walk on every ledge, run to every exhibit, or everyone's favorite "I'm hungry, I'm tired, or I don't want to walk anymore." As the day ended, we were all soaked to the core, everyone was ready for a nap so we headed for the bus. We pile in, buckle up and lo and behold, the bus breaks down. Keep in mind that it is middle of the afternoon and the bus company is sending in reinforcements at just the time that traffic will come to a stand still! We were on the bus with wet, tired children who refused to believe us when we said the bus was broken for almost two hours before help arrived! Don't worry, we let them get off and play in the rain some more, took a trek back to the bathroom, sang a few bus songs, and then the whining started, a few tears were shed and eyes started to droop. We survived rush hour traffic and arrived back at the daycare almost three hours later than we originally planned. This picture kind of explains how everyone felt by the end of this field trip.
Cracks me up!
 
      As summer draws closer and closer, I feel more pressure or responsibility I guess, weighing on my shoulders. It just seems like so much needs to be taken care of and there never seems to be enough time. However, I'm also learning that with God-sized problems comes God-sized solutions. He is moving, His hand is upon each person involved whether they realize it or not. He may be working on their hearts, encouraging their steps, or comforting their spirits, but no one can deny that He is at work. I am learning that the concept of trusting God with everything is the way of life He wants for us. We all get worked up over the little things, hurt by someone's words or actions, distance can make us feel isolated and lonely, or we can feel defeated when our efforts seem to be in vain. But God asks us to place them in His hands. He knows this is not easy for us. He understands that we want things to happen now or our own way, but His way has our best interest at heart. He realizes that some experiences won't make sense to us, but He will bring about understanding in His own time. He asks us to wait on Him, for He sees the outcome, His bigger picture is more than we can fathom. He challenges us to trust in His ability to care for us. He has brought you this far and He promises to take you even farther if you allow Him the privilege of showing you all He is capable of doing for you. Let Him share with you the benefits of not relying on your own abilities, not leaning on your own understanding and experience the freedom that comes with letting go and letting God take control.

No comments:

Post a Comment