Friday, August 8, 2014

Through A Child's Eye

  






   I miss them. I didn't realize how much time I truly spent with them, or how much energy they took from me. I miss their laughter, their tantrums, their hugs, I miss hearing about how they're going to go to McDonald's play land and one of the other kids isn't invited, I miss getting to see the excitement fill their eyes as we get ready to go outside to play, I miss their ornery smiles right before they attempt to do something they shouldn't, and oh how I miss hearing "Hey Ms.Wendy." I know, it's only been a week, but those beautiful children found a place in my heart I didn't even know I had. Now I get a "break" and have to deal with adults and we're not as cool as preschoolers. Okay, I take that back, the adults I am around are pretty awesome, it's just not the same as when I'm with the kids. 
  What would happen if for just one day, we would take the world on as a child? A refresher's course of how simple life is supposed to be, and notice how difficult we can make it at times. So many times I will look at the mountain of things to do on my list and get overwhelmed and start to question my sanity. But I can picture the classroom full of kids taking on the mountain one step at a time, fearless of what could happen, and confident that someone would catch them if they fell. Or when we get hurt or reach our breaking point, how a band aid can totally change the outcome, or a hug could fix all that had been broken and dry up every tear. How would we handle trusting someone else to watch over us as we focus on what's right in front of us instead of worrying about what we left behind or what lies ahead? Even as I write this, I'm telling myself, that it's a part of life, as we grow and mature our responsibilities grow as well. But, how often do we take on those responsibilities when we shouldn't? Why not take on that mountain of a to do list one step at a time, even if you don't know where to start, trust that God will guide you to where you need to be and will help you back on your feet if you fall. And when you do fall, know that even if it hurts for just a little bit, if it starts to bleed or bruise, God can heal the deepest wounds. He can bring about a comfort that surpasses our understanding and somehow brings a peace when we're in the middle of a meltdown. The trust God is asking of us is no more than the trust you have in those you love those most, except for the fact that He is unfailing, He won't ever leave your side, and He is already waiting for you to reach the top of that mountain victoriously. So often we as adults, try to play that role as well. But we're not meant to do it all, we physically can't, that responsibility relies on the very One who created us. I honestly don't know what lies ahead for me, but I have learned from about twenty tiny humans to trust in someone bigger than yourself, someone who can see the bigger picture, someone who can fix what gets broken, and someone who loves me more than I could ever love myself. 
    I understand it's easy for children to act the way they do because of the innocence that resides in their hearts. But I also believe we are supposed to approach God in a child like manner. Tear down the walls that have guarded our hearts for so long, shed the armor that reveals the wounds, lay aside the weapons we use against those who have hurt us and then take off at a running sprint into His arms. Allow Him to love you back together, accept you for all that you are, and have no doubt that you are safe with Him. It seems almost too simple, like there should be more to it, but God hasn't called us to do the rest, that's His job, His responsibility, and He will provide for His own. We spend so much time teaching our children that very lesson, maybe it's time we become the child and learn something as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment