Friday, April 4, 2014

Life as a Follower

         The tarps have disappeared, the boards have been gathered away, and the hole is completely filled with solid concrete. It seemed to take forever getting to this point, always something standing in the way of progress; however, as always, God pulled us through and it couldn't have been more exciting! The daycare kids had the opportunity to come over to the house and watch the process. As we walked closer and closer, their excitement began to build, they were blown away by the monstrous trucks and all the equipment the workers were using. I can only imagine how it looked to see all those little kids smashed up against the windows fighting over the best view. Ms. Pearl was just as bad as the kids, which was pretty cool to see. She stayed at the house all day, just staring out the window (with a few million interruptions as usual) and praising God for how He had brought everything together. It is so humbling to listen to her praising God, she truly relies on Him for absolutely everything, and she has no doubt that in some way or another, He will provide. And the awesome thing is that He always pulls through! He has made an example of her to show that trust and perseverance in His ability will bring about His incredible glory!

 
 
 
 
Praise God!
           I have been spending a lot more of my time with some of the moms. Ms. Roberta and I try to come up with an evening once a week to spend with them. Some of them haven't experienced a group of friends that just gets together to play games, go out for dinner, or just have plain fun without any extra "supplies" needed. We understand that everyone, especially mothers, just need a break from the endless cycle of motherhood to be themselves and not have as many things to worry about for a bit. We have had some pretty hilarious conversations around a movie that was never really watched, there is a jealousy over dinners at Chili's, and too many laughs about too many subjects! It has been great getting to know them, I have learned so much about them and I am so thankful for the opportunity to share time with each one of them.

 My partner in crime, so thankful to have met this girl!
        Those kids were pretty adorable this week, every day there was something else they did that touched my heart and made me laugh. They say some of the silliest things and try the craziest stunts. As I'm writing this, I can't quit from laughing out loud as I picture Sherman standing in line (well jumping, crawling, spinning, etc in line) and then he stops and says, "Ms. Wendy?" "Yes, Sherman?" "You crazy!" I was of course not going to admit that he may be right, so I replied with, "Umm, no Sherman, you're crazy!" Sherman of course had to argue with me, and so he and about eight of his coconspirators proceeded to tell me that I was the crazy one as we walked down the hallway. I couldn't help but smile at that one. And then one afternoon I was laying out their cots for nap time and each time I would enter the room with a new cot, one of the kids would say, "Hello Mommy." It didn't take long for the others to catch on and shortly after they were all saying/yelling it! I told them I wasn't their mommy, but if they were going to call me that, they had to call me Ms. Mommy. They thought that was even funnier to say so that was the chant in the room for a bit, and then all of a sudden Sherman yelled out, "Hello Cutie." I busted a gut with that one. He said it with the orneriest grin I have ever seen, knowing he just said something pretty great, and then of course Mark thought it was fun so he joined in on that one as well. Children are truly a blessing, one that we so often miss out on with the busyness of life. However, there are moments that they won't let us miss. Ka'Mya came up to me one morning with a Poptart. This caught me off guard and I asked her what was up. She said I brought this for you, it's strawberry with sprinkles which I know you would like! I have received a lot of gifts, but never a Poptart, but graciously accepted it along with a sweet hug. Ms. Pearl explained that she wants her teachers to feel as special we make them feel. Needless to say, I savored every bite of that pastry and was filled with love for that precious girl. 
Sherman wanted a picture of our shadows :)
     Another moment that touched my heart this week was Bible Study. We're discussing being followers of Christ and how He truly changes your life if you allow Him. I was challenged to think of my mission as a follower of Christ. I know we are called to go and make disciples in order to spread the message of Jesus, but I'm realizing there is more being asked of me. I am required to do more than just to go. I'm called to continue to grow in my own walk as I help others. I need to make time for God, as well as those I'm guiding in order to learn how to lead them better. I can't lose the foundation that He has built for me so I can build up those around me. I cannot get comfortable even after getting out of my comfort zone. I was convicted as I listened to some of the responses, and realized I have to step up my game. It has truly been an adjustment (a part of me believes it will always be an adjustment) living in this environment, however, I can't use that as an excuse. He called me here, He has placed people around me who support and love me, and He has given me tasks that have to be accomplished in order for His will to be done. Complacency is not an option. Fear has no control. It was all too clear that even though I felt like what I am doing was enough, it's only the beginning of what He is calling me here to do. I don't share this to discourage anyone, only to challenge you to see what else you could honestly be doing. Don't stretch yourself too thin, know your limits, but if you know that you could do more for Him, go for it. He will be with you every step of the way, He will provide encouragement and support in more ways than you can imagine, He will protect you from the biggest challenges, and He will never fail you. He has called you to do His work, and trust me, He has the perfect plan for how you should go about doing it. So if you're at the starting line, in the middle of the chaos, or almost to the mountaintop, don't ever lose sight of Him, keep Him close to your heart, and trust Him with all you are, and He will show you the way.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment