Sunday, March 23, 2014

Transformation: Challenge Accepted

"And so, dear brothers and sisters,  I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

        There has been a constant running theme in my life for the past few weeks, and I finally realized what it is: transformation. It started at a conference a couple weeks ago, I was reminded of all that God had brought me through. My story is nothing compared to the stories I have heard about here, but it is specific to me and is a part of who I once was. God has used every situation I experienced in order to prepare me for this journey, no matter how unprepared I truly feel. There were lessons He taught me through my own foolish decisions and lessons that came from situations out of my control that I never completely understood. I know now that no matter how difficult they were, or how challenging they may have been, they served a great purpose in my walk with Jesus. He molded my heart with every struggle, shaped my spirit with every heart ache, and developed my faith with every let down. He filled me when I was empty, He restored me when I was crushed, and not once did He ever leave my side. I can stand before you now, wounded, yet healed by His grace, and without a doubt say to you that I would not be the person I am today if it had not been for His ever present Spirit in my life. He took a lost young girl, injured by the burdens she carried and transformed her into a hopeful child who wanted nothing more than to experience the love of her heavenly Father.
       Over the past few years, I have been changed beyond anything I ever thought possible as I spent more and more time getting to know what God has in store for me. I have felt challenged by Him to truly live out what I believe. I don't serve a God who stands on the sidelines, but one who is courageous enough to join the front lines and fight this battle along with me and for me when my strength fails. He is active and moving in ways that are not always noticed, but I am certain, He is at work. I was almost content with how my life was, I felt like I served some purpose, and I was comfortable. I was inspired by different Bible studies, encouraged by dear friends, and active in the work my church is doing. However, He and I both knew that there was more to the life He had designed for me. Before long, there was a fire within that no water could ever put out, a yearning from the depths of my being that no one could ever take away, and there was a passion and excitement that came only when I drew closer to Him. God had planted a seed long before I even realized it, and now it was starting to blossom. My thoughts were not about my life anymore, my heart zeroed in on His heart, and the next thing I knew, I was on a wild goose chase after what God wanted for my life. I no longer desired for Him to carry me, I was ready to run alongside Him.
     I give you this background because now I find myself in a culture that I don't necessarily fit in, in a ministry that is outside of my expertise, in a place of darkness and desperation, and in circumstances I have never faced. Every day I can physically feel the stretching and shaping of my endurance, I get overwhelmed by the amount I am learning, and I am constantly searching for His will in every situation. Before, I didn't realize what He was doing, but now I am fully experiencing a transformation taking place in my life. Every day He asks that we give Him all of us, sacrificing all we have in order to receive all He has for us in return. He challenges us to let go of the grip we think we have on this world, and let Him alter the way we think of this world. He knows the struggles and hardships that come with this life, encounters we are not entirely prepared for. But if we allow Him to take root within our heart, soul, and mind, He will transform us into someone we never thought we were capable of becoming and with His help we will overcome all that comes our way. As difficult as it is, I would much rather God spend His time shaping me into who He has called me to be than to stay the same and miss out on an incredible adventure with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment