Saturday, March 1, 2014

Love is spelled T-I-M-E

       I have been on this journey for almost a month now, which is a miracle because some people, myself included at times, didn't think I would make it this long. Even though it doesn't seem like too much time, I feel as if so much has changed. At first I felt lost without any direction, searching for God in the midst of the craziness, and doing my best to keep my head above water. Now I look back, as I find myself always doing, and I can't help but see that I am blessed by how His hand has been at work. Not even just in the daycare or the construction, but in my heart as well. I praise Him for His forever faithfulness.
      My eyes have been opened up to so much about this culture. Everything is so different from the life I come from. Something that seems so bizarre to me is completely normal to them, for it is all they have ever known. I am blown away at the abuse of a system that has been set up in order to help people succeed. It's intent was well meaning, however due to poor management of the government, it is being used by the people to remain comfortable, allowing them to receive benefits from all angles and not necessarily putting forth the effort in return. Please understand not everyone does this, but there is such a vast majority who would rather take an easier route than to rise above the odds and stand on their own. However, I don't know their whole story, I don't claim to be perfect, and I don't know what God has in store for them, so I can't say anything about something I have never been a part of. I just wish people could see their potential and strive to go for whatever is on their heart; a goal that Ms. Pearl tries to instill into the families that she helps. 
     I'm starting to learn the family stories, some are promising and others are heart breaking. As I listen, I can hear the desperate need of an escape or the longing for a better life. Each one is different, however they are all filled with circumstances that require rescuing and restoration that can only come from knowing the ultimate Healer. I look at the children and a love that comes from the depths of my being fills every part of me. My struggles cannot compare to the battles they face daily, I find myself hugging them tighter every time I see them. I can't help but pray for the parents as they come in, asking God to draw them as close as possible. Some need hope, some need help, some need guidance, some need encouragement, but they all so desperately need love in every way, shape, or form. A love that knows no boundaries, a love that tears down the doors they hide behind, a love so courageous it drives every fear away, a love that is more satisfying than any substance, a love that will free them from the chains of anger, regret, and depression, a love that will heal the deepest wounds, and a love so overwhelming that they have to let go of everything else. It is the same gracious love poured out on my life, a love that has seen me at my best and most definitely at my worst. My story is not as harsh and rough as the ones I have heard, however that same love can reach anyone, at any time, in any place. Oh how glorious is the love of God for His children!
      I have spent so much of my time noticing the differences, not knowing where I will fit in, and not quite understanding my place here. But I am learning that God is telling me to love above anything else. That may mean asking one of them to go run an errand with me, spending a few extra minutes sending them some encouragement, taking a moment to listen to what's on their heart, or just spending time with them. No gift is more precious than when we make time for someone else. God has spent an eternity working with us and loving us through this life; all He asks in return is to take the time to share that love with everyone we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment