Saturday, February 8, 2014

Follow Jesus, Not Me

What a whirlwind this week has been!
         It had been a while since my last week long visit, so I had forgotten a few things. It's amazing how different life can be just three hours away. I was reminded of the suppressed environment, how real the threat is, and how I don't really know what God has gotten me into! But oh how wonderful it was to see those beautiful faces again, they made everything else just fade away! I got so many hugs the first day, those smiles warmed my heart, and then all their energy sucked the life out of me!
        My day usually starts at seven with setting up the room and getting breakfast made for the kids with the help of Ms. Pearl, Ms. Tay Tay, Ms. Henry, and Ms. Estelle. Ms. Roberta comes later in the morning. (I am blessed to work with these women, they truly welcomed me in this week! Something I needed more than I thought) We have a schedule of normal daycare activities: Lego time, praise and worship, calendar time, snack, a lesson of some kind, lunch, and then praise the Lord for nap time, and then the afternoon is filled with snack and some type of activity to keep them preoccupied!
        However, after five o'clock, it's anybody's game! No evening is the same. One night we stood by the window praying over the construction workers as they worked and worked in order to get the concrete pump to work to fill in the foundation for the new facility. Despite their efforts, they couldn't get it to work so they will have to try again next week. A minor set back, but Ms. Pearl is trusting in God to work through this! If you get a moment, lift up a prayer for the whole project. Some evenings we have kids still with us until their parents can pick them up due to schedule conflicts. It is never just a straight drive home from work, we could be on our way back and see someone along the street, pick them up and take them where they need to be. I am blown away by Ms. Pearl's servant heart and the generosity that radiates from her! She claims so few things as her own and shares all the rest!
        The second morning she dropped something huge in my lap! She has asked me to start up the after school program that will be ran in the new facility. I tried to hide my gut reaction of panic as she spoke to me. Nothing like picking the most ill equipped person for the job! However, with God's help, I believe He can turn it into something more than I ever thought. It is supposed to be set up for twenty kids, but Ms. Pearl would like to be prepared for thirty students. I'm not sure on all the details yet, but she has a vision for it and the state has guidelines for the program as well. One of my main resources will be the Agape Center just down the street. It hosts a "Say Yes" program that implements Godly values along with resources to help students with their schoolwork. I will be in contact with quite a few different people in that facility and going into the public schools to find students with the greatest need as candidates for the program. I ask for extra prayer as this is truly unknown territory in my life.
        One final note about this week, was the weekly Bible study on Friday mornings with the staff. It may have been an hour earlier than when we normally meet, but it truly made a difference. Talk about an inspiration as Ms. Pearl discussed the Word of God and the power that comes from it. I desire to be the example God calls us to be and to share His gracious love with others. I pray that they only see Him and realize they are to follow Jesus, not me!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy, how exciting. I know it may all seem overwhelming, but GOD has You All in His loving care. He will Never leave or forsake you. There are many, many prayers going up for you. Stay strong in the LORD. Always follow the LORD'S Will and you can never go wrong. I love you Wendy Walker! Continue to keep us posted. Chris Clapp

    ReplyDelete